Sunday, February 13, 2011

Family Reunion Time!

With Mom And Dad leaving for their mission in the near future, it seems like this summer would be a great time to all get together for a family reunion before they leave. Beebs and Mom and I discussed some of the possibilities when she was up here the past few days. We'd like to get together somewhere and spend about a week sitting around with calendars on our laps and talking about embarrassing bodily functions. And maybe some other stuff, too. Some possibilities: Rent a big place (akin to Beebs' grandparents'-in-law place we went to several years ago) in the Utah-Idaho area; go somewhere NONE of us live; rent the Badger Creek facilities and make the kids do the ropes course; blah, blah, blah.

We can't make more firm plans until the folks' mission call comes, but we can put our thinking caps on. Some things that will need to be done: scheduling; t-shirt design; menu planning; etc. Please post your ideas here on Findelmeyer. Thanks!

8 comments:

brittanydaw said...

Great idea, of course. I'd love to hear of ideas. My idea is to get a place at Cliff Lake (where I used to work)--things we can do: fishing, canoeing, hiking, Yellowstone, Playmill, etc.

brittanydaw said...

Also--what if we went to Disneyworld? That'd be great! (PS, I am serious...)

Ali Garner said...

We have a very busy summer planned with camps and such, but of course we'd love to be involved in a reunion. We're tentatively planning to be in Idaho the first week of August for Noah's camp River Run. That's a possible time. Or mid-August might work. We're up for anything!

kimandval said...

August may be the best option for us (end of school and YW camp in June and my dad and nephew may be coming in July). Our kids would love Disney world and it is closer to us (and will leave us with less time to talk about embarrassing bodily functions-don't know if that is a plus or not)

angryyoungwoman said...

I would love Cliff Lake. I think it would be more fun just to spend time as a family chatting and being together than rushing from activity to activity, though.

I really don't want to go to Disneyworld. I don't like amusement parks. I can't go on many of the rides, and the crowds make me feel claustrophobic.

brittanydaw said...

Hey, an idea, if we really want to cut down on cost, though this may not be the most comfortable... Scott's parents Stake Property is free to use. There is a nice bathroom facility (sinks, toilets, and showers), but no cabins. It would be tents or trailers. Scott and I have a trailer that can be used and I think Heidi and Devan do, too. We have a tent, too. Between all of our tents/etc, we could fit us all into something. Ladies with babies (Linzi) and Omi and Opa getting priority on trailers...
What do you think of that?
PS, I scratch disneyworld.

brittanydaw said...

Also, let's all give our best time for us to go, realizing that we don't know when mom and dad would leave.
Our kids are out of school for three weeks in July (2-24th), and we don't know when we would start again... (track system), but I am flexible and am fine if the kids miss school.

heidiglyn said...

I am all for family togetherness . . . but I think being in tents and trailers is just too much togetherness. My preference would be Cliff Lake or Badger Creek . . . not too costly, and with a lot of scope for fun family activities. I am not an amusement park fan--I would really want to get my money's worth out of it and would be so tired at then end of the day I wouldn't have any energy to spend on doing family stuff.

Whatever we do, I am very much in favor of equalizing costs (i.e., we all "turn in" our receipts for travel, etc., and then everyone ends up paying the same amount). If we go to the lodge at Badger Creek, for example, that is really cheap for us, but would cost Kimball's, Kyle's and Ali's families the cost of airplane tickets. What I'm saying is that I'd be willing, if we stayed in this area, to help others get out here without it being a big burden.

At any rate, the first issue is to see what date the 'rents are leaving. Then we can plan around that.