Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cafe Rio Pork Salad

I thought I would share with ya'll our favorite dinner recipe. It may seem like a lot of work the first time you make it, but it is so worth it!!!

Marinate a pork roast in a can of coke and 1/4 cup brown sugar overnight or a few hours. (if cooking this on low, start it 8-10 hours before you eat) Put in the crock pot--season with garlic salt (either with the juice you marinated in or new coke and some water)--put on high for 3-4 hours (or 6-8 on low) until it shreds easily. Shred it.

In a blender, blend up 1 can of sliced green chilies, 1 can of green enchilada sauce and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Pour over shredded pork and leave in crock pot for another 2 hours on low.

Cook rice. You can fancy it up with lime and cilantro, but I just make it plain.

Heat up black beans. You can fancy these up too with garlic, cumin, and cilantro, but I just do it plain. You can have corn, too, but I have never done it. It sounds good though.

Dressing--this is the most important part!!!
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch mix (not buttermilk)
1 cup mayonaise1 cup buttermilk (I never have buttermilk so I just use milk)
2 tomatillos (remove husk--duh)
1/2 bunch of cilantro (we always take the leaves off and don't use the stalk part)
1 clove garlic (I just use my minced garlic from a jar)
juice of 1 lime
1 jalepeno (depending on how hot you want it. Don't put seeds in it if you don't want it too hot)

Mix all those ingredients in a blender til well blended.

Chop up lettuce. You can serve with chips or tortillas (people can make it into a burrito thing, but we like it just as a salad).
Layers: salad, rice, meat (it is rather juicy, so serve it with tongs or something to let the juice drain a bit), beans, and then dressing (really whatever layering you want...)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ali Garner said...

It made me so hungry just reading about it I almost drooled on my keyboard!