Sunday, January 25, 2009

Interjecting Doctrinal Commentary

I've just finished reading the first volume of "Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, Volume I." Scott's parents gave us the set for Christmas last year. The books contain the complete text of the Book of Mormon, along with comments, references, quotes, etc. about almost each verse. Wonderful reading, I highly recommend it. One comment in particular caught my eye: 2 Nephi 28:20 says "For behold, at that day [the last days] shall he [Satan] rage in the hearts of the children of men, and stir them up to anger against that which is good." The authors then said, "The vile one is extremely versatile. His approaches vary according to the conditions of the time and the specific weaknesses of individuals or groups. Some persons are moved upon by Satan to become rash or angry or violent. Others are tempted to be quiet and passive and indifferent. Some feel compelled to organize riots, lead marches, and promote legislation against those things which are decent and pure." Interesting, isn't it. These books were written in 1988, by the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading in Alma and Helaman lately, and I am so suprised at how often the minority of the people don't get their way and so they try to go to war and "take over the judgement seat", causing so much stress in the nation, and then when the real problems come (lamanites), they are not ready because they are so busy trying to fix that problem that their "borders are not fortified", etc...